Are you a Senior looking for an affordable market rent apartment?
Community Housing and Development operates a portfolio of affordable market rent apartments for Seniors aged 60+. These units are not subsidized, but are set at a monthly market that is slightly lower than the average market rent apartment.
Affordable market rent units fall within the Rent Increase Guidelines set by the Province of Ontario.
How do I qualify?
To qualify for an affordable market rent unit, your household must meet all of the following criteria:
Annual income must fall within the limits as follows:
Single Minimum annual income: $31,000.00. Minimum annual income with no vehicle: $25,000.00, Maximum annual income: $41,500.00.
Couple: Minimum annual income $38,000.00. Minimum annual income with no vehicle $36,500.00. Maximum annual income $50,000.00.
Cash, investment income, proceeds of any home sale, etc. must not exceed $150,000.00
- At least one member of your household must be 16 years of age or older, able to live on their own without parental supervision, and have legal status in Canada. This includes individuals in Canada under a student visa, visitor visa or work permit.
- No Termination Order has become enforceable against any member of your household from a former tenancy with Sault Ste. Marie Housing Corporation (SSMHC).
- Proof of payment has been provided for any member of your household owing money to any public housing provider in Ontario (this includes SSMHC) or any private housing provider in Ontario.
How do I apply?
To apply for an affordable market rent unit, download and complete a market unit application.
In addition to the application form, you will need to provide the following:
- Assessment of ability to pay rent (income verification)
Proof of your current income and three- to five-year income history for each household member listed on the application form.
- Rental history
Your detailed rental history for a minimum of three to five years, including contact information for previous landlords. Community Housing may contact them to verify your information.
- Credit references
Community Housing may obtain a credit check from TransUnion. If we cannot get any credit history information, we may request more information from you.
- Personal identification
You must provide copies of two pieces of identification for each household member 16 years of age or older:
- Documentation that provides proof of Status in Canada
- Photo identification (for example, a driver's license)
You may return your completed application, including all required documentation, by mail, by fax or in person to the office located at 180 Brock Street. Current affordable market Rent vacancies are listed below.
There is a waiting list for affordable market rent units. Some vacancies may be rented in person at our local offices. If vacancies are listed below, please inquire about beginning the application process.
If you have any questions related to an affordable market rent unit, contact the Application Centre at (705) 946-2077.
90 Chapple Avenue
- Secure Building
- Ground Floor with Walkout
- Parking included
672 & 676 Second Line West
- On-site Laundry
- Secure Building
- Parking Included
- Two-storey walk-up
- Meal plan available (extra cost)