Anyone may apply for subsidized housing as long as they meet the following criteria:
- At least one (1) member in your household must be 16 years of age or older and must be able to live independently with or without support services. The application must be signed by all applicants and co-applicants age 16+.
- Each member of the household must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or have Refugee Claimant Status and have no deportation order under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) against any member of the household. There also cannot be a departure order or exclusion order under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) that has become effective with respect to any member of the household.
- You must not owe arrears to any social housing provider, or have misrepresented your household income.
- If you own a home or any other real estate suitable for year-round occupancy, you must agree to sell it within 180 days of receiving subsidy.
- Understanding that all subsidized tenants will be required to pursue all possible sources of income that they may be eligible for, including Ontario Works, Child Support, Employment Insurance (EI) and Immigration Sponsorship Support.
- Once you have accepted one of the available rental subsidies offered by Housing Services, you will be removed from all waitlists for all rental subsidy programs you may have applied for.
- Your gross yearly household income is not more than the limit. The limits by bedroom size are in the table below.
|Unit Type||Household Income Limit|
*Household income limits effective January 2022
If you meet all of the above qualifications and wish to apply for subsidized housing, begin the application process.