Skip to content (Press enter)

Who can apply for subsidized housing?


You can apply if:

  • You are at least 16 years old.
  • All members of the household are legal residents of Canada or refugee claimants.
  • No member of the household is currently under a deportation, departure or exclusion order to leave Canada.
  • No member of the household owes money to any social housing provider.
  • No member of the household has been convicted of an offence in relation to rent-geared-to-income assistance or found by a court of law or the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal to have misrepresented their income for the purpose of rent-geared-to-income assistance.

You will be required to provide documentation clearly indicating your legal right to be in Canada. This may include, but is not limited to, a copy of your birth certificate, landed papers, or documents supporting your claim for refugee status.

When it is closer to the time when you will be offered housing you must:

  • Be able to live independently, with or with support services (which you must arrange).

An individual is considered to be able to live independently if he or she is able to perform the normal essential activities of day-to-day living; or can do so with the aid of support services and demonstrates that those support services will be provided when they are required.

Skip to content