Skip to content (Press enter)

How can I get financial help?


If you are in need of financial assistance, try one of the following services:

Ontario Works

  1. By calling the Application line at 705-759-2130, or
  2. In person at 540 Albert Street East Monday-Friday (8:30am-4:00pm)
  3. Online at

NOTE: If you are currently in receipt of Ontario Works and need to get in touch with your Case Manager you can call Switchboard at 705-759-5266 or contact your worker directly.

Ontario Disability Support Program

  1. By calling the office at 705-253-2001 or
  2. In person at 341 Queen Street East Monday-Friday (8:30am-4:45pm) or
  3. Online at

One Time Assistance / Northern Health Travel Grant

Community Assistance Trust (C.A.T)

705-256-7476 ext. 222 or
705-256-7476 ext. 223 (Northern Health Travel Grant)

NOTE: Community Assistance Trust can only provide assistance in an emergency situation or extraordinary circumstances; where there are no other resources for funding available in Sault Ste. Marie or Algoma District for the specific need

The Community Assistance Trust Coordinator has the authority to approve up to $500 in discretionary funds (per case) for the following items:

  • Baby Safety items
  • Medication (for children under 16yrs of age who have no other coverage)
  • Eyeglasses
  • Emergency Dental
  • Basic Adult Dental (for those without other coverage)
  • Utilities / Home Heating / Rental arrears (for those with a disconnection or eviction notice)
  • Other: Miscellaneous items of extraordinary nature that fall within the CAT parameters
    If you are experiencing financial hardship and need help budgeting or are getting calls from creditors you can contact:

Credit Counselling Service of Sault Ste. Marie and District

Phone: 705-254-1421
Address: 298 Queen Street East

NOTE: Clients are seen by a credit counselor for a free one hour appointment, you must call ahead or walk in to book an appointment (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm) – late appointments are on Tuesdays at 5:30pm

Skip to content