Monday, September 16, 2019
Contact Us - Site Map

Adding a Person to Your Household

Please talk to SSMHC before someone moves in to your home with you

Facts You Need to Know Before Someone New Moves In

  1. The new member must be eligible for Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI).

    • To qualify for RGI the potential new household member must:

      • Be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or refugee claimant, who is not under an effective deportation or departure order.
      • Not owe arrears or rent or damages to a social housing landlord in Ontario, unless repayment arrangements have been made.
      • Not own residential property, unless they plan to sell it within 180 days of moving in.
      • Provide documentation and permission for the Sault Ste. Marie Social Housing Application Centre and the Sault Ste. Marie Housing Corporation (SSMHC) to assess their eligibility.

    • In order for them to be approved for RGI they must fill out an application form from the Sault Ste. Marie Social Housing Application Centre at 180 Brock St., or for an online application click here. Once approval has been received the member can move in.

    • If the new member(s) moves in without approval, YOU could lose your Rent-Geared-to-Income eligibility.

  2. Your rent may increase.

    • Your rent will be recalculated based on your new total household income.
    • The new rent charge will take effect 30 days from the date your household income increased.

  3. The new person may have the same rights as you!

    • The new household member may have the same rights to the unit as you unless prohibited by building mandate.
    • You will not be able to have the SSMHC remove the new household member from the unit.

  4. You will be responsible for the new household member’s actions

    • You will be liable for any debt to SSMHC that the new household member causes.
    • You will be required to pay all the rent and other charges on your account if the new household member does not pay.