Monday, September 16, 2019
Contact Us - Site Map

Text Size: A A Print This Page


Q: What do I do if I see an ambulance while driving?
: If you see and or hear an ambulance coming towards you, with emergency lights and siren on, pull over and stop until the ambulance is past. If they have their lights on and sirens on, they are on their way to or returning with a patient from a medical emergency.

Q: How can I make sure the paramedics can find my house?
: Make sure that the House numbers on your home are large and visible from the street. Should you require an ambulance, you will have to give your address. Large Visible House numbers ensure that they are able to find your location as quick as possible.

Q: How can I be sure that the paramedics will find my house if I live in a rural area?
: All rural areas have been given 911 identification numbers. These are posted on green signs outside of you rural property. Make sure you know your proper identification number and proper name of the road you live on .

Q: What kind of information do I have to give when I call 911?
: When you call 911, there will be a set number of questions that the communication officer will ask you. These include your name, phone number, address, and information about the patient including symptoms they are showing. This helps them determine the priority of the call and ensure that the paramedics have the necessary information; the communication officer will also give you available first aid instructions to get to the patient as soon as possible.

Q: Does 911 work wherever I live in the district?
: In some areas of the District of Sault Ste. Marie, there is no 911 service. Ensure that you have the alternative correct emergency phone numbers for your area. You can get this information from you local volunteer fire department.

Q: What are the qualifications of a paramedic?
: Paramedics must complete a two year college diploma. They then need to pass a provincial examination in order to practice in the province of Ontario. Contact the Ontario Paramedic Association website for more information.

Q: What is the cost to me if I need and ambulance?
: If you are an Ontario residence with a valid Ontario Health Card, you be charged the $45.00 copayment fee by the Sault Area Hospitals.  You will only be charged if you are transported to the hospital.