Monday, September 16, 2019
Contact Us - Site Map

Text Size: A A Print This Page


Why should I send my child to a licensed child care provider?

Licensed child care programs have to meet and maintain provincial standards as set out in the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014. These standards help ensure that the health, safety and developmental needs of your child are met. A Licensing and Compliance Program Advisor from the Ministry of Education makes unannounced inspections of all licensed child care programs to make sure these standards are upheld. Operators must post their licensing and inspection summary in a place commonly used by parents and caregivers.

Please note: It is illegal to take care of more than five unrelated children under the age of 10 without a license or to provide private-home day care at more than one location without a license.

What is the Child Care Subsidy Program?

Residents of Sault Ste. Marie, Prince Township and Sault North may apply for financial assistance to help them with the costs of child care.

What Child Care Provider Can I Use?

We have contracts with many of the licensed providers listed in the child care provider section of this website. It is your responsibility to apply through the Centralized Child Care Application Site. After you have completed the online application you will be added to the provider waitlist. Once a space becomes available the child care operator will contact you and provide registration instructions. Child care spaces are limited. Not all child care providers will have space available at all times.

To complete the online application please go to:

Why Would I Need It?

If you have a child or children under 10 and you are finding it difficult to meet the costs of child care and at least one of the following applies, you may be eligible for financial assistance:

  • Employed full or part time
  • Attending school full or part time
  • Retraining full or part time
  • Parent of a special needs child (Referred by a professional)

Do I Qualify?

Once you have accessed a child care space through our centralized waitlist a review of your financial situation will be conducted. Your income, as outlined on your most recent Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment or Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice will help determine if you qualify.

What Will This Cost Me?

The parent's portion of the fee is paid by the parent directly to the child care provider and any other fee where applicable. The subsidized portion of the fee is paid by the District of Sault Ste. Marie Social Services Administration Board directly to the child care provider. A Fee Subsidy Calculator is available to help you determine if you might be eligible.

What documentation is required?

At the time of your appointment to determine eligibility for fee subsidy you and your spouse (if applicable) are required to provide:

  • Most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency or the Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice (CCTB)
  • Custody order or written agreement
  • Verification of your participation in an approved activity (i.e. employment, school, training or therapeutic referral).
  • Subsidy Application form (provided to you by your child care provider).

NOTE: At the time of your appointment, additional information may be requested before eligibility can be determined.

What if I live Outside of Sault Ste. Marie catchment area?

If you live outside of the catchment area arrangements can be made for you to access a subsidized space by contacting the Algoma District Social Services Administration Board. Please click here to access the ADSSAB website.